what = the thing which
【暗記】Resolve to perform what you ought, and perform without fail what you resolve.
resolve : 決心する
１. of + 抽象名詞 = 形容詞 A man of learning is not always a man of wisdom.
２．名詞 + of a ---は形容詞に代用されて、「〜のような」の意味になる He is an oyster of a man.
3. the + 単数形の普通名詞 ○その類全体を現す ○抽象の概念を現す The bamboo is a kind of grass.
4．the + 形容詞 のパターン The rich are not always happy.
7. by oneself I live all by myself.
8．for oneself I like to do everything for myself.
9. of oneself = ○ひとりでに、自然に ○自分の意志で I did not call him ; he woke up of himself.
10. to oneself 独り言を言う 独占する He often talks to himself when he is alone.
11 再帰動詞 意味を強めるためにのみ用いられる He did it himself.
12. the very + 名詞 He is the very man for you.
13. 最上級で「どんな〜でも」と訳す The wisest man cannot know everything.
17. the + 比較級 He is the last person to do such a thing.
18. 比較 no more ~ than と not ~ any more than He can no more swim than a hammer can (swim).
19. few と a few little と a little The book has few faults.
We cannot praise him too much. = It is impossible to overpraise him.
25. this that の使い方 this は文章の中で近いもの、thatは遠いもの を指す Health is above wealth, for this cannot give so much happiness as that.
What with teaching, and what with writing, my time is fully taken up.
34. all, what （持っている物は）これだけ と言う表現 This is all the money (that) I have.
35. AとBの関係は、CとDの関係と同じ という言い方 Leaves are to the plant, what lungs are to the animal.
36. As...., so...の呼応 As you sow, so will you reap.の解析 As the lion is king of beasts, so is the eagle king of birds.
37. It is in --- as in ~ --- は ~ の如し という表現 It is in studying as in eating ; he who does it gets the benefits, and not he who sees it done.
38. as ~ as any, as ~ as ever, the + 最上級 + that ever という表現 He is as brave as any man alive. 彼は世にも稀な勇者だ
I worked hard (for fear) lest I should fail.
52. if ever, if any, if ~ at all 言おうとする事を強く響かせるために勿体をつけて言うのに用いる表現 He is an Edokko, if ever there was one.
53. ever so = very, 譲歩を表す副詞節の中で使用されるever so --- = however という表現 He has ever so many children.
54. So I am と So am I の ちがい You seem to be a physician --- So I am.
60. 命令形 ＋ and, or そうすれば・・・、さもなければ・・・・ と言う表現 Persevere, and you will succeed.
61. 命令形 + and の変形 One more effort, and you will succeed.
62. 代動詞としてのdo、 強調としての do I love you more than he does.
65. 嗜好、才能を表す、have a ---- for / to ~ という表現 I have a liking for that man.He took me by the hand.
66. 体の一部をーーーすると言う英語独特の表現 He took me by the hand.
67. 分離を表す前置詞 of について I will ease you of your burden.
68. 不定詞の副詞的用法 ・目的 ・原因 ・結果 He lived to see his son a great man.
69. 知覚動詞 ( see, feel, hear, know etc ) + 目的語 + 補語 I saw him enter the room.
70. have + 目的語 + Root-Infinitive （toのない不定詞） I will have some one come.
71. have + 目的語 + 過去分詞 という文型について I shall have my watch stolen.
72. 絶対不定詞・・・不定詞の成句 To tell the truth, I am tired of teaching.
73. to say nothing of ~ と言う表現 He knows German and French, to say nothing of English.
74. There is no ----ing, It is no use ---ing と言う表現 There is no staying at home in this fine weather.
75. 形容詞 + of で動詞のように振る舞う用法について He is possessed of great wealth.
77. of one's own ---ing = 自ら----した、という表現 This pheasant is of my own shooting.